INFORMATION FOR TENANTS
Having decided on a property, every person (over 18) will need to complete a written application form. At this time any details or requirements can be provisionally agreed, such as occupancy date, duration of the letting, etc.
On application a referencing fee of £30.00 per applicant will be required. Following satisfactory references, an administration fee of £150.00 per property will be payable. This is to cover the cost of doing the inventory and preparing the legal paperwork required.
If the tenancy fails to proceed due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided in the tenancy application or you subsequently decide not to take the property then we will retain this sum to cover our costs and lost advertising time.
REFERENCES & CREDIT CHECKS
We will instruct a company to take references on behalf of the Landlord. Normally these will include your employer, any former Landlord and a character reference. In addition a credit check will be undertaken. Applicants are also now obligated to complete Right to Rent checks. For more information please see section entitled ‘Right to Rent Checks’.
If you are under 25, have adverse credit or a low income etc. a guarantor may be required. If a guarantor is required then they will need to complete an application form and pay £30.00 to cover the credit check cost
Applications can take between 3-5 working days and we will update you on any progress. Protheroe Property is not obliged to inform Tenants on the specific reasons resulting in an unsuccessful application.
Rents are normally quoted on a calendar month basis. In addition, the Tenant is responsible (unless otherwise stated) for the Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas, Electricity, Telephone costs and any other Utility Bills where applicable.
Rents are payable by standing order (unless alternative arrangements have been made in advance) to our Company bank account monthly in advance, with the first month’s rent due before taking occupation of the property.
A deposit (or ‘bond’) is required prior to occupation. This is normally equal to one month’s rent, but maybe more e.g. equal to 6 weeks rent. Check with our representative. Where we are managing the property, the deposit will be registered with The Deposit Protection Service. Full details can be found on www.depositprotectionservice.com
Where we are not managing the property it will be the Landlords responsibility to register the bond (unless we are instructed otherwise).
RIGHT TO RENT CHECKS
As per new government legislation applicants will now have to complete a Right to Rent check as part of the referencing process. Applicants will need to supply a copy of either one document from section 1 or a combination of two documents from section 2 (see below) to both ourselves upon application and the referencing team upon request.
Section 1. – one document required
· Current or expired British/EEA/Swiss Passport or National Identity Card
· Valid Biometric Immigration Document
· Certificate/Card confirming permanent residence issued by the Home Office
· A Passport or other document stating that the holder is exempt from the Immigration control and is authorised to stay in the UK indefinitely.
Section 2. – two documents required
· Full Birth/Adoption Certificate
· Letter dated within the last 3 months from an employer/UK Government Department or Local Authority.
· Letter confirming acceptance of UK Educational Institution
· Full or Provisional UK Driving License (with counterpart)
· Letter dated within the last 3 months from a UK Police force or HM Prison Service.
The next steps if you would like to apply for a property
- Complete & return the application form to us. This can be scanned & emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed in to our office: D Mill Courtyard 5, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX
- Pay the referencing fee. Please note that the property will remain on the open market and viewings will still take place until this stage is completed.
- Property will then be ‘Under Offer’ and will be temporarily reserved for you until the credit check and referencing has been completed.
- Our credit/reference company, Legal for Landlords will email you an online form to be completed. Please ensure you fill this out as accurately as possible and include a land line telephone number for your employer if applicable.
- Once we are in receipt of the relevant information we will update the landlord/s and make him/her aware of the proposed tenancy.
- We will contact you to let you know whether or not your application has been successful, this will then be confirmed in writing along with confirmation of the outstanding balance to pay before you move in. At this point the administration fee of £150.00 will be payable to secure the property.
- You will also be required to pay the bond on receipt of our confirmation letter
- Tenants are required to have Tenant Liability Insurance in place prior to moving in. This can be taken from Legal for Landlords and costs £60.00. You will be required to confirm this is in place prior to move in.
- On the tenancy start date a representative will meet you at the property to sign the tenancy agreement and other relevant paperwork and you will be required to pay the outstanding balance if this has not already been received (please note that this amount must be in cleared funds)
We look forward to offering you your next home and would be delighted to answer any queries you may have.